Sunday, January 2, 2011

Car Accident After a Fight

Day 21 → (scenario) Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?

'What do I do?' What kind of a question is that?
First, what happened? Is my friend just rattled? Are they hurt? Did they die?
If it was something serious, or even if it was minor and they called me to talk about it, I would immediately forget whatever petty nonsense we were fighting about, and do whatever I could to help. There is nothing so important that I would sit around being a stubborn asshole and ignore my friend. Life is too short for that.
No, I would not even begin to be ridiculous enough to entertain the self-centered notion that it was somehow my fault that the car accident happened. I am not that powerful. I can't cause car accidents with my mind or some harsh words, last I checked.

If my friend died, I would obviously be upset, and I would go through the grieving process. Again...the fight really wouldn't have anything to do with how I reacted. It might sprinkle in some guilt and remorse, depending on what the fight was about and what the last thing I said to the friend was, but at that point there would be nothing I could do to change it, so there wouldn't be much point in dwelling on it. I would process those feelings and move on.

Speaking of the grieving process; I read an article yesterday about this process, and whether or not it was appropriate. The article also discussed how long was an appropriate time to grieve, and when that process crosses the line from normal into mental illness: clinical depression. If I remember correctly, they classified something like two weeks as a normal grieving period, and said anything beyond that is depression and needs clinical attention. Two weeks? Maybe if your fucking goldfish died.
Then they started talking about medication. Some of you might know that my career goals are based in the mental health field. This article was one of several that had me rather heated yesterday. I was seriously gesticulating wildly and swearing at my laptop. In public. Diagnose that. Actually, don't please. And shove those cockamamie medications somewhere special. ;)

I do think that some, even many people are genuinely helped by medications, but I think they are outrageously over prescribed. Americans are certainly outrageously over-diagnosed as well. As that second linked article mentions, part of this is due to a set up by the system, which makes a diagnosis useful and sometimes profitable, but at what cost? There are certainly ramifications associated with telling a child they have Asperger's and treating them for it when they do not, and that is only a tiny piece of the over-diagnosis population. I won't even start on the prevalence of diagnosing and medicating/extremelymegatotallyovermedicating depression and anxiety. You think this might make it a little harder for the people who genuinely have terrible struggles with these issues to have their problems validated and properly addressed? Hmm...maybe. I think that there is a major misconception in this country that clinical depression is something that almost everyone goes through because of how common it is for people to be put on antidepressants. That is sick, sad, and terrifying. These medications are not safe and harmless, y'all. ADD/ADHD? Ugh. I could go on ad nauseum. This is why I do not want to be a psychiatrist. Most of them don't even have regular sessions with patients any more. They just prescribe meds and send you to someone else to do your work. 15 minute appointment: Here's your prescription. Bye.
No, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment